Thursday, August 5, 2010

Are We Ever Satisfied?

The great news is I'm moving up in my publishing career, as far as my 9-5 is concerned. I got the coveted (for a year and a half) promotion!! Yay!! So why when I got the offer letter at the end of last week did I want to cry? The raise looked great; it wasn't that. It was the fact that I had not only prayed for more money, I had prayed that God would remove me from that place all together. Not that I dislike it that much, but I just felt, and had been feeling for a long time, that it was time to go. And my family and friends can vouch for me, I tried my hardest for over a year to leave, went on countless interviews, have an actual excel spreadsheet of the 30+ jobs that I applied for, and even developed and kept over 20 different resumes and cover letters to match the specifications of each job I had applied for.
Well, back to last week. I signed the offer letter, I took a walk and immediately call one of my besties asking her what the heck is wrong with me. Why am I so ungrateful? Am I being ungrateful? Are we ever satisfied? Should I ever be satisfied because if I am, will I even continue to strive for more like Jabez in Corinthians who asked God to enlarge his territory? I just didn't get it. What was wrong with me? Was there anything wrong with me? What was up with my melancholy mood?
Bestie understood where I was coming from and reminded me that there is a balance. While I should be grateful about the blessing of finances, responsibility, and a resume booster, I should also continue to strive high. Do both.
A few days later, I called one of my professors and told him the good news. He's a mentor and is also a reference on my resume. After telling him that I didn't get one of the recent jobs I had applied for but I did get this promotion, he asked why I sounded so sad. It's days later and I'm still naturally in a funk. Of course deep down inside I really felt like an ungrateful brat. I told him that after all that work, all those interviews, my goal was never to move up in my current company, it was to leave all together. And I also let him know that I honestly didn't mean to sound that way or at least I didn't mean for him to hear me sound that way.
He reminded me that despite my best efforts, I cannot control everything. There we go with my control issues...He continued and told me that obviously God has a plan for me and my life and it wasn't for me to be where I'm not. He said one of the hardest things for people to do is get out of their own way, the way that God paved for them. So he told me to step aside and again be grateful. And just like my bff said, still strive to go further, but don't forget that I have a great opportunity right here and right now.
I'm a good listener...working, and I mean really working, on the doing. I'm really blessed not only for this new opportunity to learn and grow, but for the love and support by my family, friends, and mentors. :-)

Love,
Sam

2 comments:

  1. I agree with both the bestie and your mentor. At the same time there's nothing wrong with the way you feel. It means you're not going to settle for less than your goals. So enjoy your promotion, be the best and then you can move onto even higher levels than what you've applied for already! Congratulations (again)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. disappointment is natural when you've been earnestly planning for what you understand to be your next target and not exactly hit it... ever noticed that sometimes even your best made plan is not the best plan for you?... there is something for you to do and/or receive that you'll know when it's looking you write in your face. - that unexpected gift, at an unexpected time(yeah I know, Forester said it, but for diff reasons). You will know it. You will feel it... cause your eyes, heart and mind are wide open to receive it. The fact that you are even questioning your own gratitude is part proof that that a refining process is in progress - part of what you are receiving, part of how you go about the doing, whatever else is before you.
    You've moved to the next level.
    Congrats on your promotion which is also a part of that.

    ReplyDelete