Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Say No First; Then Yes

I couldn't figure out what to write about until I just finished texting a friend of mine saying I couldn't hang because this is my working weekend. He's here from out of town. We used to hang; he looked out for me in school. He is a person I'll always be cool with. But on his visit to the DMV, I'm busy.

I do that a lot. I will restrict myself from activities and spending time with friends on the weekend so I can work, which most of the time is writing, studying for the next position, or preparing for a job interview. I'm doing all three this weekend.

So I won't see the girls, not even the family in my house for that matter because "work" is super important. It is!! However, in going back and forth with my friend about his schedule and mine, he gave me so many options to come through and say hi. Why? 'Cause we're fam! That's why. And with those options, I thought to myself, "Ms. Luck, you will not be working from sun up to sun down. There will be no burnout...on a weekend."

All that to say, when I do reach 30, I don't want to look back and be glad for all my accomplishments but be sad that there was more fun that could've, should've been had. While I'm an advocate for sacrificing free time, dating, fun for what you want in life, I am realizing that I can go overboard with it- just zone everything and everyone out. My closest friends are all too familiar with my "Cave of Seclusion." I just won't go in there as much...that's the best I can do. :-)

But I'm really, consciously working on balancing work, play, family, love, and whatever else.

My passion and goals will always be before me blaring in flashing lights, but while I'm working on getting things done, I can't forget about my family, friends, and fun!!!

So I guess that means I'm going out Saturday night- Heyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Love,
Sam

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely; however, continue to seek balance ;>)

    ReplyDelete