Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I've Been Rejected!! Yesssss!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm elated! I am elated that I have been rejected- rejected by a literary agent right here in D.C. OMG! OMG! OMG!
I submitted a query letter (a letter giving a summary of the book- full of catchy, suspenseful, action-packed jargon; type of thing you'd find on the back of a novel) to a few agencies so far and one, yes-the glorious first, has sent me a rejection email that I opened right as I was in the middle of a get-together with good friends, good food, and great drinks.
It was on a Friday night- Friday the 13th to be exact. I was sitting with the crew laughing it up, checked my Blackberry, and stumbled upon a message sent to me by a literary agent that I was really eager to work with. As I opened the message and read the few sentences she provided, I heard someone in the background, "Ahhhh Sammi, we're just messing with you?" Confused but focused I kept reading. Then a friend hugged me and said she was just playing. I looked at the people in the room like what the heck are ya'll talking about. Apparently as I was thumbing through my phone, I was the butt of some joke or something was said about me that was funny. Normally I'd laugh, and I probably would have been cracking up if I was paying attention. But I wasn't. I assumed the crew noticed my kind of solemn expression and thought it was the joke. No, not at all. I was stuck. I didn't know whether to be happy or sad cus I totally got rejected...Wow!! But yay, because for me, that means somebody read my query, somebody thought about it, and somebody took the time to tell me as she put it: There is too much on my plate right now.
Plus, plus, plus, it officially means for me that I'm really in the publishing process. It's happening. And that makes me happy!!! I got rejected!! Yesssssss!!! Is there a rejection dance? If not, I'll make one up :-)

Love,

Sam

3 comments:

  1. Lol. Enjoy the feeling of rejection then, I imagine it won't last long. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am doing the rejection dance with you! It's is TOTALLY like applying for a job and the same feeling you have about this agent is the same feeling I get when an employer actually looks at my resume and says, "NO!" At least someone is looking and not simply ignoring greatness! Congratulations and I mean that...

    The first no means another one may come, but a "yes" is on the way!

    <3 you!

    signed,

    miss young

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with miss young. And, keep a pluggin' away.

    Mommy

    ReplyDelete