Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's the Allure



It was 2006. I had just graduated from FAMU and I was on my celebrity interview grind. With Dawn Angelique (now Dawn of Dirty Money), Anthony Hamilton, Doug E. Fresh, Talib Kweli and lesser known artists I interviewed in Tallahassee, I thought why not come home and continue? It was fun and gave me a challenge. So I came back to DC, found out a certain artist was going to be at a party and I wanted to interview him bad. He was one of my favorites and I had five questions, that's all. I contacted the promoter of the party who provided me access and dragged my bff and her camera with me.

I get to the party. I spot the artist. I speak and hug the artist. I let him know about my (then) blog and how I would love to ask him 5 questions. He agrees to it but says, "Find me at the end of the night." Those words are like a shot in foot, btw. Like, what? What the heck does that mean?!!

I wait, I party, I wait some more. Finally, I find him...behind a velvet rope. I approach the rope. His bouncer hates me. Why? IDK. The artist acts like he never spoke to me and waves me off. I'm leaving out more than needs to be told but can I just tell you that he played my life...like PLAYED MY LIFE!!! I left the club with my bestie asking what am I going to do next. I told her I was done. This was stupid. No more interviews...

Just like Jay Z's "Allure," every time I felt that was that, it called me right back...

So what's new? After freelancing for ShowOff Magazine (Bermudian Magazine) over the summer, I got the interview bug back. After a while, a good friend Martin invited me to join JukeBOXDC.com and here I am interviewing in the DC area once again. Last week, I interviewed a hot, new DC artist Rewind- video coming soon. And today, I interviewed the very talented RAtheMC. Both were absolute pleasures to talk to. Oh yeah look out for that video coming out soon as well on JukeBOXDC.com. S/O to Jamoris for being so great!! "It's your show, Sam!" is all he kept saying...

That's the update for now. You know I'll keep you posted on the rest. More interviews, more about the novel and some G 14 classified writing projects I have under the radar.

Love,

Sam
*Photo w/ RAtheMC courtesy of Martin Jon Powell

4 comments:

  1. I am inspired. They will certainly regret the day that they tried Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) While the intent of this post was not to make me laugh out loud (he played my life...like PLAYED MY LIFE!!!), it did.

    2) I'm glad the spirit moved you (again) to do what you enjoyed. And i'm glad you listened. Yay Sam.

    ReplyDelete